Friday, February 4, 2011

Wow....2 Days in a row

I'm on a roll now, 2 posts in 2 days!
So I have been trying my hand at shooting sports.  Thanks again to my friend Josh Buck I got a press pass to the CU men's basketball game.  I had been wanting to do this for sometime now, I have always been impressed by Josh's sports shots and wanted to give it a try.  It was a bitter -15 when we headed to Boulder and the short walk from the parking lot to the CU Events Center was enough to freeze fingers and ears.  After stowing the heavy coats and extra gear in the press room we headed out to the floor to get our spots on the baseline.  CU has been doing pretty good this year and the crowds have been sell outs fairly often, tonight was a little shy of a that though, probably because of the cold weather.  I'm definitely out of my comfort zone doing this type of shooting, and it showed in my photography.  I adopted the "spray and pray" approach, (holding the shutter down and hoping to catch the action). Josh was shooting single frame and I easily shot10 times more frames over the course of the night.  It was tough trying to follow the action, I had a lot of blurry shots, cut off heads and pictures of where the ball had been.  But with some pointers from Josh and shooting a little wider I managed a few keepers. I gained an even greater appreciation for what it takes to shoot sports, I took almost 400 shots and in the end had about 25 that were OK.  Not much of a keeper rate, but it was a great time and I look forward to when I can do it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment